Simple Ways to Make Healthier Food Choices - Just Got Easier
If you’re like the millions of Canadians trying to eat healthy, are tired of the same food options, and want quick food that’s good for you - then healthier choices just got easier at WrapZone.
There are many reasons for wanting to eat healthier - a lifestyle change, wanting to eat more greens, having a gluten free diet, you’re vegetarian, you want to lose weight or maintain your desired weight, to lower your cholesterol, and to prevent certain health conditions. The challenge is that most people don’t associate healthy with flavorful but at WrapZone, cultural and ethnic flavours including Greek and Thai are a delicious part of our fresh ingredients, from the cheese to our meats.
Having a healthy diet has many benefits and it begins by learning to make healthier choices. We all have different calorie needs based on our gender, age, activity level, and health conditions. A healthy lifestyle combines healthy food choices with regular exercise and smart habits:
- Adults should get at least 150 minutes of moderate exercise each week. Children and teens should get at least 60 minutes of exercise every day.
- When you grocery shop, take time to read labels. Look at ingredients and look at the nutrition facts so you can evaluate calories, fat, and sugar content before you buy.
- Learn how to read restaurant menus so you can make the best food choices.
- Plan ahead, and start with small food changes to your diet over time. Talk with your family doctor or a dietitian if you have questions.
It is also important to choose food from all five Canadian food groups:
- Vegetables and legumes/beans.
- Grain (cereal) foods, mostly wholegrain and/or high cereal fiber varieties.
- Lean meats and poultry, fish, eggs, tofu, nuts and seeds and legumes/beans.
- Milk, yogurt cheese and/or alternatives, mostly reduced fat.
The first step in improving your diet requires that you take a good, hard look at your current eating habits. Write down everything you eat for a couple of days, be honest with yourself and don’t leave anything out, and you’ll quickly see where your trouble spots are. Acknowledge that there are some things that you probably want to do differently and congratulate yourself on the things you’re going right. Then use a healthy food chart to help you find healthier food swaps that will still satisfy you. As these healthier food choices get incorporated into your usual routine, you’ll gradually improve the nutrient quality of your diet, cut calories, and probably find that your meals are more filling and satisfying.
When it comes to healthy eating, WrapZone serves up healthy and delicious meals for everyone in your family in Kelowna, Vernon, and North Vancouver. Contact WrapZone’s corporate office at 250-573-1230 or our restaurant locations in Kelowna’s Spall Plaza at 250-861-6000 or Mission Centre at 250-861-8680; Vernon’s Fruit Union Plaza at 250-545-6575; and North Vancouver at 604-984-1838 today.