After the Holidays – Detox, Healthy Food and Takeout!
With winter’s festive holidays on the wane and New Year’s Eve a fading memory, it’s time to put away those edible indulgences and get back to becoming a healthier you. The challenge is that with holidays throughout the year and late night pizza binges always around the corner, now is the time to reframe your life and develop an action plan that can take you through to next New Year’s Eve.
At WrapZone, we understand the desire for better living through better eating. Our menu items are prepared at the time of your order, and our fabulous smoothies feature real fruit juices, frozen yogurt, and other tasty ingredients - add our smoothie boosts and take your drink to the next level of goodness. In fact, for fourteen consecutive years, WrapZone has been voted Vancouver’s number-one restaurant in The Georgia Straight’s Golden Plate Awards “Best Wrap” category.
To help you bounce back – to deal with mindless eating, occasional binging, the regret, and the food comas – you need to reframe your situation and have an action plan. First, the immediate symptoms of overeating:
- Lying down can give you heartburn and other gastro issues including aggravating respiratory issues for people with asthma. Light exercise, like taking a walk, can speed up digestion, steady your blood sugar levels, and clear glucose out of your bloodstream.
- Avoid alcohol and coffee – neither help with digestion. Drink water, seltzer, or tea as clear liquids help move along digestion, battle sodium and carb bloat, and reduce constipation.
Once you’ve had some water and walking, start planning ahead:
- Ground yourself with a healthy meal. Simply planning your next meal is a powerful act of self-care that can remind you that food is not the enemy.
- Returning to your normal fitness routine or plan to be more active or workout.
- Change your perspective - when you feel the urge to indulge, change the channel, read a newspaper, a book, or even old journals to occupy your mind beyond this moment.
- Keep a food diary to help find areas where you can make changes and include healthy choices.
- Call a friend - food binging or stress-eating can sometimes come from a place of loneliness or discomfort – reach out to a friend, and give yourself the tools you need to de-stress and unpack some of that.
Once you’ve committed to looking after yourself and are more aware of what you’re eating, you can make small changes that make a big difference. Here are some tips:
- Eat only when you’re hungry, just because it's noon or food is available doesn’t mean you have to eat.
- Prepare and plan for healthy snacks throughout the day.
- Portion control, especially during the holidays, is critical. Don’t deprive yourself, just eat smaller portions and less often.
- Pay attention to what you’re eating, and avoid distractions so you don’t lose track of how much you’ve eaten.
- Slow down, enjoy each bite and put your fork down while chewing, then take a drink between each bite so your brain knows that you are satisfied (not necessarily full).
When it comes to healthy eating, WrapZone serves up healthy and delicious meals for everyone in your family, from people on the gluten free diet to vegetarians in Kelowna, Vernon, and North Vancouver. Contact WrapZone’s corporate office at 250-573-1230 or our restaurant locations in Kelowna’s Spall Plaza at 250-861-6000 or Mission Centre at 250-861-8680; Vernon’s Fruit Union Plaza at 250-545-6575; and North Vancouver at 604-984-1838 today.