Healthy Food Choices Can Be Convenient, Quick and Delicious
Fast food can be convenient, quick, delicious - and healthy? Since 1997, WrapZone’s cofounders Bruce McGee and Fay Price have been creating tasty foods from all cultures as a healthy alternative to conventional fast food with Canada’s first “wraps-only” restaurant. Today with three locations in Kelowna and Vernon, we are passionate about offering healthy, superior-quality food and service. From our 20 years of providing healthy food alternatives, here are a few tips on making healthy take-out choices.
The first thing to remember is that even the healthiest fast food options often have nutritional drawbacks when it comes to calories, sugar, sodium, and fat so the secret is moderation, know where and what to look for on a menu, and how to order healthy:
- Portion size - Avoid supersized and value-sized items, and go for the smallest size items; you can also find more reasonable portions on the children’s menu.
- Calories - Aim to keep your entire meal to 500 calories or less and review nutritional info both on our website and at the franchise location.
- Low fat / high fiber and protein - Look for items with more good stuff, like fiber, whole grains, and high-quality protein; Avoid fried and breaded items, or processed meats.
- Trans fat - avoid anything containing “partially hydrogenated” oil; the USDA recommends at least limiting trans fat to no more than 2 grams per day.
- Keep an eye on sodium intake - The American Heart Association recommends that adults stay under 1500 mg of sodium per day, and never more than 2,300 mg a day.
- Watch what you drink - the average large soda packs around 300 calories and 19 spoonfuls of sugar. Order water or coffee instead.
- Watch the side dishes - watch for items that come with one or more side dishes, skip the French fries and bacon.
- Careful condiments - control how much you put on your sandwich and try ordering extra pickles, onions, lettuce, or tomatoes to add flavor in a healthier way.
- Special order - many menu items can be made healthier with a few substitutions; hold the sauce or dressing or serve it on the side, request a wheat bun or whole-grain bread for your sandwich.
At WrapZone, our quick-service restaurants serve up healthy and delicious meals and quick bites all day long that meets or exceeds many of these guidelines. For example, a Jimmy the Greek regular beef wrap has 492 calories; chicken has 484 calories; shrimp has 459 calories; and tofu has 483 calories - fitting nicely within the calorie guidelines. A Raja Curry Basmati Rice Bowl with beef has 603 calories; chicken has 591 calories; shrimp has 555 calories, tofu has 589 calories; and Gardein chicken has 610 calories - and is full of flavour. We also offer several custom made veggie mixes and sauces that are delicious and full of real ingredients.
When it comes to eating healthy and fast, WrapZone serves up healthy and delicious meals for everyone in your family. Contact WrapZone’s corporate office at 250-573-1230 or our restaurant locations in Kelowna’s Spall Plaza at 250-861-6000 or Mission Centre at 250-861-8680; and Vernon’s Fruit Union Plaza at 250-545-6575 today.